Monday 30 November 2009

Knowledge: Book Review - The Element; Ken Robinson



Read this book about a week ago. I'd give it a 4/5 and recommend you check it out. If you know me, get in touch because I'm lending this out as I have my own copy.

The book talks about finding your passion and the ways to go about it/ the principles involved. There's not much more I can really say about it, it's one of those books you'll just have to read.

It is written by the same guy who did the TED talk on 'Do schools kill creativity?' which you can find in the HP archive section. Worth a watch, as there's some very interesting points raised.

Most notably for me, is that both the IQ test (the most influential form of intelligence-measurement in the west) and the SAT-examination system were both originally developed by eugenicists. Yet these forms of intelligence measurement, originally based upon a racial agenda, are still being used to determine, essentially, who's clever / likely to 'succeed' in life and who's not.
Pretty hectic.

Give it a read, but don't expect to be blown away, because despite the gravity of some of the issues raised, the author doesn't hit it that hard, probably because he wants to market this book the mainstream, and not the black-bloc'ers of education disruption.

If only...

No comments:

Post a Comment