Friday 11 December 2009

Urban and Wild Survival; Converting Vegetarians



For the past 8 months, eating any form of dead animal wasn't an option. That was until I read 'The Vegetarian Myth' by Lierre Keith. That book shifted my perception of how and why I was going about being vegetarian.
Not long after I finished the book, I felt the symptoms of malnutrition kicking in, and so last week was my conversion initiation.

The above photo was the result, grass-fed minced beef was essence.

Fortunately out here in Australia, most of the meat from indy butchers is grass-fed - some what of a miracle compared to how hard it is to find grass-fed meat back home.

The findings - my body didn't reject the meat at all. In fact, it craved it, and since eating it, I can feel my body asking for my animal protein each and every day.

The moral of the story? Don't be a vegetarian unless you can't get hold of grass-fed meat or naturally reared poultry. And if you're eating eggs, try and get them from chickens which are fed a natural diet, not purely grain. If you're eating cheese, eat cheese made from raw fat. Drink raw milk if you can get it and lots of raw milk butter!

Word to mother,

1 comment:

  1. I used to eat vegetarian, too, until my nutritional deficiency began to effect my breastfed baby. The website beyondveg.com helped me sort out the various dietary approaches.

    ReplyDelete